What are ants?
While many ants can find their way to our properties, each has unique behaviors, appearance, and nesting preferences. All ants have several things in common: they are social and have a segmented body, short antennae, two stomachs, chewing mouthparts, and the ability to lift items 20 times their body weight!
- Argentine ants: An infestation of Argentine ants is hard to miss! These ants invade properties in huge numbers. They travel together in wide trails as they forage for food.
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants tunnel and nest inside wood, like fallen trees, tree stumps, and a home's structural wood. In our homes, they cause costly structural damage.
- Sugar or little black ants: These small ants regularly invade our homes, usually searching for sugary, sweet foods.
- Fire ants: Fire ants are small, reddish-brown ants that pose physical danger to people. They deliver painful bites and venom-filled stings to defend themselves and nests from threats.
When you detect ants in your home, the best solution is a home pest control service. Contact Pest Control Experts to get started!
Are ants dangerous?
There is no arguing that ants are annoying, but some can also be dangerous to you and your family or the structure of your home.
Most of the ants you encounter shouldn't make you run in fear. Still, there are a couple in our area that you definitely want to take quick action against, including the fire ant that causes people physical harm and the carpenter ant that damages our homes' structure.
Why do I have an ant problem?
If ants have become a problem on your property, know that you are not alone. Ants plague homes in our area and across the country. There are two big reasons why they are such a common problem.
First, ants live worldwide in substantial populations; a single colony can have thousands upon thousands of ants. Ants live all around us in almost every type of habitat.
The second reason ants are a problem is that our yards and homes provide ants with what they need, so these opportunistic pests can't help but take advantage. The food, water, and shelter we provide them are why these ants are so problematic.
Where will I find ants?
Ants primarily nest outside in the ground, under woodpiles or fallen trees, or within tree stumps, fencing, or other pieces of wood.
When nesting in our yards, they will wander inside our homes while foraging for food; sometimes, the ants decide to stay and create an indoor nest to help expand their colony. Inside our homes, ants typically nest:
- Behind wall voids
- In electrical equipment and vents
- Under floors
- In attics
- Behind electrical outlets
Ants are pests we regularly see out and about as they travel together looking for food. Ants are superior communicators and create pheromone trails that help the worker ants move from the nest to food sources they have discovered.
How do I get rid of ants?
Get rid of ants from your Birmingham home the way that mother nature would approve of, partner with us at Pest Control Experts! We know ants are frustrating pests, and we want to make the process of eliminating these unwanted critters from your house as easy as possible. Our residential and commercial exterminator professionals in Birmingham specialize in getting rid of pests, preventing their return, and protecting the environment. If you live in the Birmingham area and want the best protection against ants and other common household pests, reach out to the Pest Control Experts today!
How can I prevent ants in the future?
Use the following simple strategies and tips to deter ants from taking over your home.
- Be diligent in cleaning up food and liquid spills as soon as they happen.
- All trash cans should have lids.
- Regularly pull out from the wall and clean under and behind furniture and appliances to get rid of crumbs and other food debris.
- Clean out crumbs from kitchen cabinets and pantries.
- If you have pets, make sure to pick up their uneaten food each day.
- Remove sources of moisture by repairing leaky pipes and fixtures and utilizing dehumidifiers in basements or crawl spaces.
Recent Blog Articles
Are you struggling with an ant infestation? Consult with an experienced pest control professional regarding the best treatment options.Read More
Find yourself worrying about mosquitoes in Birmingham? If you’re unaware of the diseases mosquitoes transmit, it might be time to do additional research.Read More
If spiders are taking over your Birmingham home, it is time to learn about the different spiders in the area and what you can do to get rid of them safely.Read More