How To Know If Termites Are Destroying Your Birmingham Home
May 15, 2022
Are you concerned that termites might be destroying your Birmingham home? If so, it's essential to know what to look for and how to get help. Termites can cause a great deal of damage before you even realize they're there, so it's best to be proactive and learn about these annoying critters. If you think you may have a termite problem, it's essential to contact a trusted Birmingham pest control professional as soon as possible for an inspection.
One of the key things to look for when determining if you have a termite problem is damage. If you're not confident in your ability to identify termites, it's best to contact a termite specialist near you. However, you can identify a termite through these descriptive details:
- Typically about ½ an inch long
- Uniform, soft, segmented body
- Two antennae that are straight and very thin
- Most are wingless, but some may have wings that they shed after swarming
- Almost always pale in color
If you suspect a termite infestation, it's crucial to contact a termite specialist near you. They'll identify the termites and plan the necessary termite removal steps.
Common Places To Look For Termites
Many people assume that termites are only a problem during the warmer months, but they're active year-round. Hence, they require a bold termite control plan. Some of the most common places to look for termites include:
- The foundation of your home, as they like to eat away at the wood that supports your home and may be attacking the foundation.
- The attic is a prime spot for termites to find the wood beams and insulation.
- Basements are another place where termites thrive, as they're often dark and damp, precisely what the termites like.
- The yard, especially with mulch or wood chips. Don't put them near the foundation!
- Sheds and garages are often wood built and may contain cardboard boxes, which termites enjoy eating.
If you see termites in any of these places, it's essential to call a termite and pest control specialist right away. They'll be able to treat your home and help you prevent any further damage.
How To Identify Termite Activity
If you think there might be termite activity near your home, it's crucial to take action as soon as possible. Some of the most common signs that you may have a problem with include:
- Mud Tubes Or Tunnels: Termites create these to provide a barrier that protects them from predators while they move through the soil toward a food source.
- Hollowed Out Wood: Termites will eat away at the wood until it's hollow, making it weak and susceptible to collapse.
- Swarmers: These are winged termites that you may see flying around your home during certain times of the year.
- Discolored Drywall: Termites tend to eat the drywall from the inside out so that you may notice discoloration on your walls.
- Pinpoint Holes On Drywall: Termites will also eat the insulation in walls, leaving behind tiny holes.
- Extra Squeaky Floorboards: If your floorboards are unusually squeaky, it could be a sign that the subfloor is being eaten away by termites.
Quick action is key to effective termite and pest control. If you think you have a problem, it's important to call an exterminator in Birmingham immediately so they can begin termite removal from your property.
What To Do About Termites
It's estimated that termites cause around $40 billion worth of damage each year, which should be enough to convince anyone that these pests are no laughing matter. For effective and efficient termite control, call Pest control experts. Whether you're looking for a one-time treatment or a year-round protection plan - our team will work with you to find the best solution for your home and ensure that the termites are gone for good!